Tuesday, January 10, 2012
Cereal Box Gift Tags ~ Preparing for Christmas 2012
Items you need to make these:
~crochet hook (we used size F, with thin acrylic yarn)
~tacky glue or white glue
~cereal box cardboard or scrap similar
~scrap fabric in darker Christmas colors
~flat edged paintbrush (although any small brush will work)
~one-hole, hole punch
1. First, take your yarn and crochet mini-wreaths, about 1 inch wide. I was inspired by a fellow blog follower: With a Grateful Prayer and a Thankful Heart (mini wreath directions).
2. Cut the cereal box into sections that you prefer for you tie on gift tags. We made ours about 1 1/2 inches by 3 1/2 inches.
3. Cut a piece of scrap fabric to cover the print side of the cereal box. With a thin coat of decoupage, paint a thin coat on the print side, and gently place the cut fabric on top, right side of fabric up. Smooth out fabric and allow to dry (see below).
4. Cut scrap string for the bow on your mini wreath. We used scrap string from animal feed bags. Thread it into the top of the wreath using the yarn needle. Remove needle and tie the string into a bow.
5. Take your cut cardboard with fabric that has dried, and punch a hole with your one-hole punch. This punches through the cardboard and fabric, but leaves the fabric attached by a tiny bit. Simply use scissors to cut it off.
6. Apply a layer of glue to the back side of the mini wreath and apply the wreath to the side of the cardboard that does not have the fabric on it (see below).
7. Use scrap yarn or scrap string to tie on to the gift card. Use a thin-line permanent marker to write "To" and "From" on the gift tag.
These can be made for any season, and are lots of fun to make. Kids can help, and even learn to crochet these fun mini-wreaths.
Make them as simple as you want, or add more embellishing.