Wednesday, January 25, 2012
What Can I Do With An Old Hand Egg Beater?
You can make a rack to hang kitchen utensils, or other items.
I'm not sure if you would consider this "art" in the kitchen (or any other room), but it turned out very nice.
I can't claim ownership of this idea either. My husband and I saw it in a magazine while shopping in a hardware store months ago. The magazine did not give instructions on specifically how to make this.
Here is how we made ours:
Items we used:
~ scrap piece of old barn wood
~ 3 wood screws, one thin and two for mounting this to the wall
~ scrap wire
~ old picture hanger hooks (we used 4, 2 different sizes)
~ drill and drill bits
1. First we made sure the wood piece was the size we wanted it. We placed the egg beater in the position we wanted it in. Then we carefully drilled holes, completely through the barn wood, where the handle touches the wood, and in four places where the beaters touched the wood.
2. From the backside, we drilled the smaller screw into the barn wood and then into the egg beater handle. We did drill a starter hole in the handle first (or you may split the wood).
3. Then we ran scrap wire into the holes at the other end from the backside, up over the piece of egg beater, then back down and secured it on the backside. We did this for the other two holes as well.
4. Then we used pliers to bend and attach the picture hangers for our hooks.
5. We then ran two screws through the barn wood front, to mount it to the wall. This was much more secure than hanging the wood from the wall (since it will hold utensils I use regularly).
Simpler than I thought, and so adorable in my kitchen. So don't throw out those old egg beaters. Everything can be used for something.