Tuesday, October 26, 2010
Scrap Wallpaper Christmas Tree Ornament
Make Christmas Tree OrnamentsWith Wallpaper Scraps
Scissors, straight and pinking edged
scrap ribbon or string
quilt batting or other stuffing material
How to make these:
1. Cut shapes from your wall paper scraps using the straight edge scissors, and leave an enough design to cut later with pinking scissors. You will need a two pieces of paper for each ornament (front and back.
2. With your top piece, or front piece of ornament paper, thread the beading needle, and carefully, and gently sew beads to the front in any design or pattern you wish. Be very careful to not rip the wallpaper with your needle. You can use a tiny piece of tape to secure the thread on the backside of it. Knotting the thread is too difficult, as you will rip the ornament.
3. Place a thin line of glue around the backside edges of the cut wallpaper shapes, but before you place them together, lay the ends of the scrap ribbon inside for the hanger. Also stuff a tiny bit of quilt batting, or other scrap materials inside to give the ornament shape. You will need very little stuffing material.
4. Carefully place the top paper over the bottom, gluing backsides together, starting with the top where you added the hanger. Pinch the sides shut and wipe away excess glue if any should run out the seams. You may need to hold the edges a few minutes to secure the glue. This is a bit difficult if the sides do not dry quickly.
5. Allow the ornament to completely dry.
6. Optional: Trim the edges with pinking scissors or other decorative edged scissors.
These take a bit more time and patience to make, but are fun to give as Christmas gifts, participate in an ornament exchange, or tie onto a larger gift. These are very light and are inexpensive to mail for gift giving as well.